Do you know why your tooth hurts? Your Finksburg, MD, same-day emergency dentists, Dr. Jan Katzen, Dr. Lisa Patel, and Dr. So Jung of Finksburg Dental Associates can determine the cause of your tooth pain and offer helpful treatments.
5 common causes of tooth pain
Tooth pain has a variety of causes. Fortunately, a visit to the Finksburg, MD, dental office can help you determine exactly why your tooth hurts. Common tooth pain causes include:
- Tooth Decay: Pain in your tooth may be caused by a cavity. Usually, pain isn't a problem until a cavity is fairly large. Regular checkups and cleanings, in addition to good oral hygiene, can help you reduce your cavity risk. If you have a cavity, your dentist will replace the decayed part of your tooth with a filling.
- Pulp Infection or Inflammation: Inflammation or infection deep inside your tooth may also cause tooth pain. If you have a fever, facial swelling, lymph node swelling, or pus on your gum, in addition to severe pain, you may have an abscess. The bacterial infection requires emergency medical treatment to prevent the infection from spreading to other parts of your body. Inflammation or infection is treated with root canal therapy, a procedure that involves removing your tooth pulp and replacing it with a rubber-based filling.
- Gum Disease: A problem with your gums may actually be the source of your tooth pain. When your gums are inflamed and tender, chewing may cause pain that seems to come from your teeth. If you have gingivitis, the mildest form of gum disease, you may only need a thorough dental cleaning and better oral hygiene to relieve your pain and eliminate the disease. More advanced gum disease may require deep cleanings, surgery to reattach the gums to the teeth, or bone or tissue grafts.
- Sinus Infection: Do you have a headache and sinus pressure in addition to tooth pain? A sinus infection may be to blame for your toothache. The roots of your upper teeth are very close to your sinuses. Inflammation in your sinuses can trigger pain that feels very much like a toothache. Treating your sinus infection will end your pain.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Sensitive teeth tend to ache after eating or drinking hot, cold, or sugary foods and beverages. Receding gums due to gum disease, cracks in teeth, or thinning enamel that exposes the more sensitive dentin layer of the teeth may be the cause of the pain. Treating gum disease, covering a cracked tooth with a dental crown or bonding, or applying a desensitizing agent to a sensitive tooth can be helpful.
Does your tooth hurt? Call your same-day emergency dentists in Finksburg, MD, Dr. Katzen, Dr. Patel, and Dr. Jung of Finksburg Dental Associates, at (410) 861-8900 to schedule your appointment.
Who Needs a Family Dentist? Everyone! The team at Finksburg Dental Center in Finksburg, MD, understands that getting a dentist for the whole family is a great way to maintain the dental health of everyone in your household. Check out some of the benefits for yourself:
Going to the dentist twice a year is sure to stay on top of any cavities that may try to form in-between visits. Your dentist will be able to give you advice on how to keep your healthiest smile with x-ray exams, referrals to orthodontists, and visual inspection of the teeth.
A Consistent Presence
If you have any questions or concerns, having a family dentist is a boon because your dentist will have a stronger relationship with your loved ones. A youth that is fearful of the dentist may breathe easier with a dentist that they know and trust.
Keep up good habits
Having your dentist clean your teeth in this way allows you to have sound oral health at home. Brushing and flossing twice a day, avoiding tobacco and sticky foods in-between visits are healthy habits that help maintain a great smile.
Checking for Overall Health
You should check your mouth for anything that may seem out of the ordinary daily. This can include lesions, marks, sores, or anything that may seem like a cause for concern. During your checkup - your family dentist will be able to suggest if there is anything serious or any changes from the last checkup.
Achieving A Polished Smile
Your dentist will brush your teeth with a polishing toothpaste that is effective at getting stubborn calculus and another buildup that may be between your teeth. Afterward, you may receive a fluoride treatment, if necessary.
Finding a compassionate, professional, board-certified dentist for your family in Finksburg, MD, shouldn’t be a hassle. Contact us at 410-861-8900 to schedule an appointment. See you soon!
Here’s how we can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted.
As we get older our smiles start to change. They may develop small chips, discolorations, or other imperfections. The good news is that cosmetic dentistry can help to fix these imperfections. In fact, more and more people are turning to our Finksburg dentists for cosmetic dentistry.
Let’s talk about the top three most popular cosmetic treatments we offer,
One of the reasons more and more adults are turning to our Finksburg, MD, cosmetic dentistry team for orthodontic treatment is that we offer a discreet alternative to the traditional metal braces that you’re probably used to. Invisalign allows our dental team to help you fix gaps between teeth, crowding, and a misaligned smile by simply using a series of completely transparent aligners that fit over teeth like a mouthguard.
Many people have turned to Invisalign to get them perfectly straight smiles they have today. In fact, celebrities including Oprah Winfrey have this nearly invisible orthodontic system to thank for their smiles. Invisalign can be a fast, effective way for older teens and adults to correct their imperfect smiles.
Dealing with dull, yellowing teeth? It happens to most of us as we get older; however, everything from smoking to the foods we eat can leave us with some pretty nasty stains on our teeth. The good news is that when whitening toothpaste and other products just don’t cut it, our Finksburg, MD, dental team can help get your teeth multiple shades whiter in just a single in-office whitening session. Our professional whitening treatment is completely customized to fit your needs.
Many celebrities have veneers to thank for their perfect set of teeth (we’re looking at you, George Clooney!). Veneers are great because this simple restoration can easily revamp and transform your smile all while hiding common dental flaws. These thin porcelain shells cover the front surface of your teeth and can,
- Lengthen and alter the shape or size of your teeth
- Hide cracks, chips, and discolorations
- Give you a whiter smile
- Straighten teeth and improve crowding or gaps between teeth
Don’t you want a smile that looks as beautiful and as healthy as you feel? No matter your age, you can have the perfect smile thanks to the cosmetic dentistry treatments we offer our patients here in Finksburg, MD.
To schedule a cosmetic consultation with us, call Finksburg Dental Associates at (410) 861-8900.
Hiding lost or broken teeth can take a toll on an individual's confidence. If this is you, you may be a candidate for dental restoration. Not sure about your next steps? Visit Finksburg Dental Associates in Finksburg, MD, to explore your options concerning dental implant restoration.
Restoring your dental implants
Dental implants are metal posts that are placed into the jaw to replace lost natural teeth. Installation is supported by the bone, so it is considered more permanent. There is no need to remove the implants daily, like dentures.
This dental restoration is usually a two-step process. The first step is to place the titanium post to which the false tooth is attached. It will take a while for the gum to adjust and grow around the post. After this has finished, your dentist will be able to adhere to the false tooth.
Caring for your implants
Brushing regularly and taking care to avoid extreme temperatures ensures that your installation lasts a long time. Patients should also make sure that they do not consume hard, sticky, or otherwise challenging foods.
Benefits of implants
- Implants are a great way to restore the smile because you can also make use of other dental techniques, like bridges and crowns, to improve the appearance of your teeth.
- Dental implants can restore one or several teeth at a time, without needing the teeth to be nearby.
- While dentures can sometimes be slightly uncomfortable, dental implants do not pinch your gums. Implants end up feeling more natural and less painful to use.
- Additionally, implants help to keep the integrity of the jawbone and the muscles of the face. Patients' confidence in their smile returns and they can resume usual activities like chewing, biting, and speaking.
Patients in Finksburg, MD, need to look no further to find trained staff who can assist with restoring dental implants. To schedule an appointment for an exam, contact Finksburg Dental Associates at (410) 861-8900 today.
What Invisalign Can Do for You
Do you want an even smile but worry about the embarrassment of wearing metal braces? There’s no need to worry any longer, Invisalign is a clear and flexible teeth alignment solution that is virtually invisible, so no one will even know that you’re wearing braces. Dr. Jan Katzen, Dr. Lisa Patel, and Dr. So Jung are dentists at Finksburg Dental Associates in Finksburg, MD. They will be happy to discuss how Invisalign can help you attain a beautiful, straight smile.
How Invisalign Works
For Finksburg residents who don’t want the look and feel of metal braces, or the long time they take to straighten their teeth, Invisalign is the perfect solution. Compared to traditional braces, Invisalign will give you even teeth without compromising your smile during the treatment.
You can remove Invisalign trays before you eat, brush, or floss, so you don’t have to worry about food particles becoming trapped between the aligners and your teeth, and you can keep up with your normal oral hygiene routine.
Will Invisalign Work for Me?
If you have any of the following dental issues, you may be a good candidate for Invisalign:
- Small gaps between your teeth
- Minor tooth overcrowding
- Minor tooth overlapping
Invisalign is suitable for teen and adult patients.
At Finksburg Dental Associates, we believe that the key to successful treatment with Invisalign depends on a highly-skilled dentist developing the right treatment plan for your needs. This is why our team takes the time to create a custom treatment plan from your initial visit to the final outcome. Once your treatment plan is approved, you’ll be ready to commence your Invisalign treatment.
If you’re looking for a family dentist in Finksburg, MD and you would like to find out more about Invisalign orthodontics, call Finksburg Dental Associates on (410) 861-8900.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.